What resolutions did you make for the New Year? Lose weight, get fit, read some literary classics? What about, get a new job? Because that’s a common pledge taken in January by those who think it’s time for a change.
But making the decision and taking the leap are two different things. So here are our top tips for seeking out and landing that perfect job for 2018.
Job hunting for 2018
- Decide what you want to do. This may sound obvious, especially if you plan to stay in the sector you are working in, but it may be that you want a complete change.
- Make a list of your skills. Job-seeking today can be as much about a candidate’s skills as their experience. Just because you haven’t worked in a particular industry doesn’t mean you don’t have the right attributes. Many of our candidates here at 24-7 Staffing are new to our sectors, in particular healthcare, where training can be provided.
- Draw up a list of sectors and even specific companies where you would like to work. It always helps, when you are job-hunting, to be focused. You may be surprised to find that companies are looking for talented staff even if they aren’t actually advertising for those positions.
- Check out the jobs boards online and by calling agencies, like our 24-7 Staffing team. Your local Jobcentre Plus is another good starting point.
- Ask around. If you’re looking for a new challenge, chat to your friends, neighbours and contacts as they may know of openings and vacancies. Word-of-mouth can be powerful!
- Stay focused and positive. Job-hunting can be a marathon rather than a sprint and it may take time for you to find the job you want and for an employer to make you an offer. Don’t be put off – it will be worth the wait.
So good luck in your job-hunting!
If you are looking for a new employment challenge for 2018, please get in touch with the team here at 24-7 Staffing and we’d be delighted to help.