Ours is a people business – even our strapline is ‘perfectly placed people’. But we are a people business in a broader sense; we don’t only help to recruit and place people in employment, we are an employer ourselves. People are what make the wheels of 24-7 Staffing turn smoothly.
So, we know that we need to look after our staff and we also know this involves more than just tweaking salaries and benefits – it’s about our culture, it’s about empowerment and it’s about staff motivation.
Currently, the UK is going through a period of low unemployment. In January, figures from the Office for National Statistics revealed UK unemployment hit a four-decade low, dropping by 3,000 to 1.44 million in the three months to November. The number of those in work increased sharply and wages rose at their fastest rate in almost a year, leaving the UK's unemployment rate at 4.3%.
Although unemployment has risen since, there are still many opportunities out there for employees so now more than ever is the time to look after our staff, so they remain with us as motivated team players.
Motivating and retaining staff
We’ve always prided ourselves on offering a great place to work for our employees, with some excellent benefits but we are not complacent, and recently we’ve been looking at other measures we can put in place to help motivate and retain our own talented team.
Money isn't the only thing to motivate people and there are other things that play a part such as recognition, career development opportunities, a sense of achievement and increased responsibility at work that all play a part.
Here are just some of the recent strategies we have implemented for our staff:
- We write to thank those who have 100% attendance over a 12-month period
- We give certificates to celebrate staff with two and five years’ service, along with a bottle of bubbly, extra holiday and a grand in the hand for 10 years’ service
- We have our weekly company highlights, in which the managers of our Chippenham, Salisbury and Bristol branches have an opportunity to recognise and praise great work from individual team members
- We have introduced a holiday buy back scheme, to allow staff more flexibility. They can buy back anything from a few hours up to five days per year
- Once a month we have an extra-long Friday lunch to help get to know our colleagues better and foster team spirit
- We offer Aspiring Managers training to develop the future Managers in our team and inspire training colleauges around them
These are some of the recent changes, to add to a whole host of other benefits we already offer, which we have blogged about before, including:
- 28 days holiday with an additional two days holiday after two years’ service followed by an extra day for each year up to five years’ service
- Red letter day performance league to reward productivity and encourage healthy competition among colleagues
- Axa Healthcare cashback scheme, which allows staff to claim back money for a range of healthcare-related treatments such as dentist, eye care, physiotherapy or hospitalisation.
And we offer team building events including mountain climbing, high ropes, and skydiving for those who thrive on adrenaline!
We are interested to hear your views on staff retention and what keeps you motivated at work? Drop us a note to email@example.com and share your ideas with us!
If you are interested in a rewarding career in recruitment and want to join our expanding team here at 24-7 Staffing, you can check out our current internal vacancies here. If you would like to chat more, please get in touch with a member of our team today.