New year new job? Here are our jobhunting tips
We’re well into January 2019 and if your New Year’s Resolution is, like many other people’s, to look for a new job, then you are probably now getting stuck in.
According to this survey by Inc, looking for a new job features at number 8 in the top ten resolutions for this year (and in case you are wondering, dieting and eating more healthily is number 1).
Now is a good time to be looking, because businesses will be reviewing their staffing plans for the year and there will be a flurry of new positions coming through in many sectors.
So how is your search going? If you already have some interviews lined up, that’s great news and good luck. If, however, you’re still scratching your head and are not sure where to start, then our jobhunting tips could be just for you.
Six jobhunting tips for your new career
- Be organised, not scattergun. Decide what you want to do and go about the application process in a methodical manner, making notes of where you have applied and the stages you have reached. The last thing you want is to confuse one company or role with another during an interview!
- Be sure of what you’d like to do. If you apply for roles for the sake of it, without thinking through whether you would actually want to land them, then you’ll be wasting your time and the employers’.
- Apply for jobs that meet your skills set, and where you meet the required criteria. You can ensure this by carefully reading each job spec.
- Tailor your CV for each job application. In this way, you will increase your chances of success by promoting yourself as the ideal candidate.
- Use social media to research potential jobs and employers. You can find a wealth of information online which will help you decide whether or not you want to work for a particular company. The information is also useful if you get to the interview stage, as you’ll be able to demonstrate how well informed you are.
- Be available for interviews. This doesn’t just mean keeping dates free. These days, employers use a variety of methods to interview people, such as via Skype or phone, so being contactable, on hand and online is important.
This is just some of the advice we give our candidates at 24-7 Staffing. All our consultants are highly experienced and in a brilliant position to advise you on jobhunting and directing you towards suitable vacancies.
To help achieve your New Year’s resolution of changing your job, or even your career, get in touch with the team at 24-7 Staffing.